'I'll find you' by Liz Lawler
Rating: 3 stars
Spoilers ahead!
Emily Jacobs is a nurse who recently started working at a private hospital. On the anniversary of her sister being missing, Emily has a surgery at this hospital. All goes well... except she woke to the doctors trying to resuscitate the women next to her. Though in the morning the bed next to her lay empty, and apparently it had been empty all along. Did her sister's disappearance leave her mind disconnected from reality? Or was there something more to uncover?
I don't know where to start with this book. At times I couldn't put it down, and at others I was so frustrated that I wanted to throw it across the room. I think the plot was actually quite good, and well thought out, but at times I do think the writing let it down a little.
Emily was a difficult character for me to relate to. There were times throughout where I did feel sorry for her, but her reasoning was sometimes hard to understand. Like when the Dalloway's had basically kidnapped her, she still expressed sympathy for them, and was so passive towards the situation.
Another thing I didn't really like was the sheer volume of rhetorical questions present in the book. The use of them was sometimes effective, but other times it just was tooooo much!
Like I said before, I think the plot was actually quite good. The writing needed work in several areas. Upon reading this book, and the first couple of chapters, I thought it was going to be about finding Zoe, but then the whole plot turned towards this missing patient, which I did think was interesting. Though I was a little annoyed that in the end it was Dalloway that was involved in Zoe's disappearance again, what a big coincidence! The thing that did save it slightly was that it was Isobel that was responsible. Though this was quite dark, it did add another edge to the story.
I did enjoy it, and would recommend!
Spoilers ahead!
Emily Jacobs is a nurse who recently started working at a private hospital. On the anniversary of her sister being missing, Emily has a surgery at this hospital. All goes well... except she woke to the doctors trying to resuscitate the women next to her. Though in the morning the bed next to her lay empty, and apparently it had been empty all along. Did her sister's disappearance leave her mind disconnected from reality? Or was there something more to uncover?
I don't know where to start with this book. At times I couldn't put it down, and at others I was so frustrated that I wanted to throw it across the room. I think the plot was actually quite good, and well thought out, but at times I do think the writing let it down a little.
Emily was a difficult character for me to relate to. There were times throughout where I did feel sorry for her, but her reasoning was sometimes hard to understand. Like when the Dalloway's had basically kidnapped her, she still expressed sympathy for them, and was so passive towards the situation.
Another thing I didn't really like was the sheer volume of rhetorical questions present in the book. The use of them was sometimes effective, but other times it just was tooooo much!
Like I said before, I think the plot was actually quite good. The writing needed work in several areas. Upon reading this book, and the first couple of chapters, I thought it was going to be about finding Zoe, but then the whole plot turned towards this missing patient, which I did think was interesting. Though I was a little annoyed that in the end it was Dalloway that was involved in Zoe's disappearance again, what a big coincidence! The thing that did save it slightly was that it was Isobel that was responsible. Though this was quite dark, it did add another edge to the story.
I did enjoy it, and would recommend!
Comments
Post a Comment