'My name is Anna' by Lizzy Barber


Thank you to net galley for an early copy!

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

I don't quite know where to start where this book. As I first started reading it, I quite enjoyed it. Although the genre of missing children can be quite exhausted, I still found this interesting to read. So much so I finished the book in one sitting. 

I found that after a couple of chapters, there wasn't much mystery left, as the readers knew what had happened, and the characters were the ones who were figuring things out. I much preferred Rosie's point of view, since Anna's was slightly repetitive in the beginning. 

It wasn't until the middle of the book where we proper learn about Father Paul does another element of mystery enter. It was nice to see the varying stories from Michael and Mary, as they both talked about Father Paul, however it was a little confusing at times jumping between the stories. 

The ending was the most frustrating part for me. While I found Rosie's POV's quite intriguing, Anna was getting on my nerves slightly. There she was all tied by by 'Mamma', constantly getting drugged, and yet she still spoke of how she felt sorry for her, and how she wanted to be with her. It was very frustrating to read. It was only after Mary told her story of being raped by Father Paul, and her first child did I feel sympathy for her. But my annoyance of her rose again when she was trying to justify kidnapping Emily. 
Yes, yes I know, she's gone through a lot and because of that is mentally unstable, but it was still vexing. 

Overall I did like the story, even though I did think it took a bit of a dark turn with the whole cult plot. But I enjoy this kind of genre, so I felt it pleasing still!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'She lies in wait' by Gytha Lodge

'Codename Villanelle' by Like Jennings

'Reclaimed' by Sarah Guillory